Saturday, 31 January 2009

Java Bug with IE

I recently had an issue on both Vista x64 SP1 and Windows 7 Beta with IE opening tabs very slowly.

This was following an update to Java to 6.0 update 10 (or 6.0 update 11) where whenever I opened a tab or Window or popup or anything in IE, the following command would run:

"C:\PROGRA~2\Java\jre6\bin\ssvagent.exe"  -new

This would use up 100% of one of my cores and the tab/window would not complete loading until it had finished, which sometimes took 10 seconds or so.

I figured out that it was to do with the next generation browser plug-in which launches the java applet as a separate process instead of within the browser process. Sun have included this new plug-in since Java 6 update 10 which would explain the issue.

This proved to be highly irritating, so I set about finding a fix and noticed that there were 2 BHO add-ons registered in IE with ‘ssv’ in the name:

Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper

Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper

So I figured I would disable them to see if it impacts functionality.

The upshot is that it doesn’t impact functionality at all, the 2nd generation plug-in works just fine without those BHO’s enabled. :)

By the way, I recommend process explorer for troubleshooting these painful hanging issues. It is part of the excellent Sysinternals tools and is written by an expert in the Windows Kernel, Mark Russinovich.

Download it here.


No comments: